Wednesday, December 5, 2012

St. Nicholas Comes to 7074 Bluffpoint


This is a horrible picture.

I really, REALLY need to take some type of entry level photography class. All I want for Christmas is to know how to take pictures in low light...sigh.

At any rate, it seems St. Nicholas filled our stockings once again. From left to right, or descending order, whichever tickles your fancy:

Mommy received heather gray leggings, nail polish and dark chocolate.

James received a new "big boy" outfit and socks (since he got moved up at daycare and per his father "The babies in the new room are wearing real clothes--not sleepers--and WALKING! He's not ready for that!"), some bath toys and the classic ring stacker that even I remember from childhood.

Peanut received two containers of wet dog food, which will surely give her the squirts. She should have gotten a lump of coal because she has been full of accidents lately just with her typical kibble.

Daddy received OSU jogging pants, pistachios, Nutella and some Christmas candy.

We are happy happy happy to see Old St. Nick.

When we were kids, we would often leave our Christmas lists in our stockings and St. Nick would deliver them safely to Santa. My mother handmade her daughters' stockings. Like, by hand. My older sister Kelly's pictured a snowman, replete with snowflake sequins and metallic thread piping the picture outlines.  Kristin's depicted an ELABORATE Christmas scene--children witnessing Santa scooting down a banister into the living room. All in hand sewn cross stitch. Beautiful french knots on the girl child's night cap. (To this day Mom does all the french knots in older sister Kelly's cross stitch. Kelly's work is pretty good, too.) Regarding Kristin's stocking, I think the story goes that mom began sewing this stocking when Kelly was born, but it was so elaborate that she didn't finish it until Kristin...nine years later. It really is a work of art.

My stocking was simple in comparison. A large cross stitch Santa waving as he sunk into a chimney.
So simple, in fact, that my first grade year I was pretty sad of its lack of bling. Some things never change.

However, that year, St. Nick left a nice note in my stocking his special night, letting me know that he would be sure to deliver my list safely to Santa, who in fact, loved my stocking the best of all.


No comments: