Sunday, July 4, 2010

Sunday Secrets

Inspired by my new favorite blog,

Psalm 127 - NIV
A song of ascents. Of Solomon.
 1 Unless the LORD builds the house, 
       its builders labor in vain. 
       Unless the LORD watches over the city, 
       the watchmen stand guard in vain.

 2 In vain you rise early 
       and stay up late, 
       toiling for food to eat— 
       for he grants sleep to those he loves.

 3 Sons are a heritage from the LORD, 
       children a reward from him.

 4 Like arrows in the hands of a warrior 
       are sons born in one's youth.

 5 Blessed is the man 
       whose quiver is full of them. 
       They will not be put to shame 
       when they contend with their enemies in the gate.

I was sitting in bed, sans Jeremy, listening to all the fireworks outside, in an empty house with a quivering dog. I was thinking, "Next year, we'll watch fireworks together, and live in the same town together, with jobs we love and money in the bank. Next year we'll both go to the gym, and we'll go to church every Sunday--no, twice, once to his Baptist church and once to St. Mary's--and I'll start a BUNCO group and Stamp again..and we'll get a Dinner Club going...once this and that gets settled and we get to where we are supposed to be, its all going to be so much better..." 

But then Aarti and her blog crossed my path (She's a contestant on Food Network's Next Big Star), and her words really struck me. I will cut and paste:

(from www.aartipaarti.com)

"I’ve always thought that the first, vital step in cultivating your relationship with God, no matter what your religious/spiritual persuasion, is surrender. You have to get perspective, and realise how small and powerless you are, that your life has been guided through peaks and valleys through very little effort of your own, and that you can do even less to affect your future. Surrender involves not only throwing yourself at God’s feet in act of humility and giving over, but it also involves being willing to accept whatever cards God deals you, trusting that He has your back."

So, after reading that, I decided to open the blinds and watch those fireworks. I phoned a friend and we joined her husby's gym, and I remembered to trust the Lord, and love the life that He's given me today.


4 comments:

Jen said...

Amazing Kara! I love your post :) I love Aarti too on the show and now love her more because of your post. THinking of you and hoping all is well. Take care and hope to see you soon.

Jen

The Rindlers said...

What a great perspective...I needed that...Sorry we missed you this weekend and hopefully we'll see you soon!!

Holly said...

Wow, Kara...I really really needed that after my last post. I have really been struggling in my head with all sorts of stuff and you really shed a great light on things. I love you! Thanks for being you!

The Stoycheffs said...

We've felt the exact same way so many times in the past couple years...waiting for job things to work out, waiting for the baby, adjusting to him... That verse is one to write down and pull out again and again.

THANK YOU for sharing it all!!!