Wednesday, December 3, 2008

A Christmas Story

Here is our very first Ironton Christmas tree:


Here is the Christmas Story

Once there was a young pair of newlyweds. They were living a migrant workers' life in Tennessee. It was their first Christmas together, and needless to say, like many newlyweds, they did not have a lot of money for the holiday. So, the smart, resourceful young wife went to the bargain store, and bought Styrofoam balls, wire, glue, and glitter to make homemade ornaments for their first Christmas together.  

I bet it looked a lot like this: 


The young couple is actually my mom and dad. The story is true. My dad played minor league baseball for a number of years; there are many stories about them "just getting by" that my mom has shared with me. Like, they moved 6 times in 4 years all by themselves; or, once, they tried to return to a previously rented place a year later, only to find it condemned. There are many, many stories (most of them are true) about cockroaches and my sister Kelly (she was an infant through all this). I think this is where Kelly developed her irrational fear of insects. There are a lot of stories about being lonely and far from home. There are lots of happy stories, too. Most of them involve draft beer. 

I wish I still had one of the ornaments that my mom made the first Christmas my parents were together. The story reminds me of all the hard work you have to put in to end up--hopefully--safe and secure in your middle ages with happy, healthy children and a secure life to enjoy. It reminds me how their hard work has let me live the fortunate life I have had thus far.

Anyway, thanks mom and dad. :) 


And, truthfully, it wasn't all sad-sack. He's on a baseball card for crying out loud. How cool is that? 

No comments: