Saturday, November 1, 2008

Happy Hospital Halloween


As you may know, I am lucky to work part-time at Nationwide Children's Hospital. I can truthfully say that this part of my work week rarely feels like "work." The environment at NCH is positive and child-focused; it's nice being a part of something so benevolent that functions (most of the time, at least) like a well-oiled machine. Plus, I have like, 9,000 friends there. This week was Halloween at the hospital, and nobody disappointed in their efforts to celebrate the holiday for the kids. In no particular order here are some of my work pals (PS, they don't always dress like this): 

This is the lovely Elizabeth Ralstrom, dressed as a perfect tube of Crest toothpaste. (Lampshade cap not pictured, but is as hilarious as it sounds.) Elizabeth is a 1st-year resident. I got to know her when she externed with us her during her last year of dental school.

s
Things I love about Elizabeth: Always smiling, cool Michigan accent (reminds me of my days at UT!), great resident, lots of fun, genuinely good hearted person. She is exactly the person she appeared to be when I met her as a wee extern.

This is my other pal, Tim. He wants some of your tots. 

Tim has been at NCH for 3 years now in the dental clinic. Like Elizabeth, he's now a first year resident. You know that guy who will do ANYTHING it takes to help out? The guy who's never too busy? That's Tim! 

This is a picture of lots of the staff at the dental clinic! You guessed it, 101 Dalmations!


And one Cruella de Vil! (This me with my other BFF, Dr. Homa). Dr. Homa was my program director in residency. I'm lucky that we have become friends as colleagues. I love Dr. Homa because she is a great leader and sets a great example of how to resolve conflict in the workplace. We need to hang out more outside of the hospital.  


This is one of the anesthesia teams in the Dental Surgery Center.  Dr. Ganzberg, Shannon, and Amy. Dr. Ganzberg was one of my professors in dental school and in residency. Now I'm lucky to have him help me with my surgical patients. And he has great taste in music. 



This is another super anesthesia team: Rod Stewart (this guy makes me happy just thinking of him), the aptly-named Dr. Smiley (I'm happier still), and Steve, a first-year resident (who makes me incredibly UNHAPPY...just kidding! I like him, too). Dr. Smiley and Rod helped me learn how to take care of and monitor patients in critical, emergency moments. They make it look very easy. The father of one of my surgery patients last month, who was seen in Dr. Smiley's room, could not stop talking about how great Dr. Smiley and Rod were with their child before he went to sleep. PS, this conversation took place a whole 2 weeks later at his post-op visit in Huntington. They were STILL talking about the great experience they had!



Really, with all these great people, committed to a great cause, with great leadership and great benefits...why would I ever want to leave? It is EASY to drive two hours to a place like this. And they don't mind when you dress up like this once in a while, either. Can't say that about (gag) pros or endo, huh, my dental friends?



Cool, huh? :)

1 comment:

The Rindlers said...

Aunt Kara...We loved everyone's costumes...especially yours and Snow White...We think it sooooo cool and wish we could have been your patient that day!!! Love, Halle & Emersyn